Spread the Word About Your Small Business or MSP With Online Press Releases
An online press release that is well-written can spread the word about your small business or Managed Service Provider (MSP) business and is very effective.
Small businesses are often at a disadvantage when it comes to increasing their online visibility. One way they can at least increase their chances is through the use of a well-written online press release.
What is a press release?
According to Wikipedia, “A press release, news release, media release, press statement or video release is a written or recorded communication directed at members of the news media for the purpose of announcing something ostensibly newsworthy. Typically, they are mailed, faxed, or e-mailed to assignment editors at newspapers, magazines, radio stations, television stations, or television networks.” While I have a great deal of respect for my best resource for information, I think Wikipedia missed one valuable avenue — I think they should have included online press release submissions to their list of ways to get worthy news published. This is what I will elaborate more on below.
A press release provides critical pieces of information about your company and typically answers the questions Who, What, Why, When, How and Where. A good press release will normally be between 4-5 paragraphs and will have the following elements in it:
- Headline – Written so as to grab the attention of the reader
- Summary – A well-written summary takes the highlights of your press release and condenses the information into a short overview explaining what the press release is about.
- Dateline – This is just the city and state where the press release is originating from and includes the current date.
- Body – this provides more detailed information and provides the answers to those questions I spoke about earlier. Be careful here — only provide facts. Don’t add a lot of fancy adjectives and adverbs and don’t overuse keywords, or your press release will more than likely be rejected.
- Boilerplate. This is also often called “About the Company” and gives a brief synopsis of your small business or MSP.
- Contact Information – This will include your information like your full name, company name, address, phone number, and email.
You will want to include a quote from you or a high-ranking member of your company that personalizes the press release and pertains to what the press release is being written about.
What are good topics for a press release?
Again, a press release is a factual representation of news about your company. Below are just some ideas to get you started:
- New products, services or technologies
- New research developments
- Attendance at upcoming events like trade shows, conferences, conventions, etc. (University boot camps, oh yeah!)
- New offers your company is about to release
- Support of local, national or international charities
- Memberships in chambers of commerce or other organizations
- Awards, certifications, and other recognitions (Microsoft and SonicWALL certifications are great for press releases)
- Expansion efforts
- New partnerships
- And more
The above is just a small taste of news that you can include in online press releases. Don’t miss out on a golden opportunity to increase your company’s visibility on the Web. Don’t wait another minute; call Borlok Virtual Assistants at 888-433-3134 or contact us on the Web and let’s get started! While you’re at it, take a look at our press release samples.